NYC (2 May 2013): A breakfast press preview at the British Residence hosted by Consul General, Danny Lopez, promotes the launch of ROJA PARFUMS at Bergdorf Goodman and celebrates Roja Dove’s recent appointment as an ambassador for the GREAT campaign.
Innovation is GREAT Britain: E&M - Commerce in the UK
The UK is an undisputed leader in the E&M Commerce sector, with a unique blend of market demand, ease of doing business and a rich and diverse ecosystem of companies able to support and sustain retailers across the supply chain. This, combined with Europe’s position as the biggest online retail market in the world, makes the UK an easy choice for any prospective investor.
Edison is a leading international investment research company. It has won industry recognition, with awards both in Europe and internationally. The team of 110 includes over 60 analysts supported by a department of supervisory analysts, editors and assistants. Edison writes on more than 400 companies across every sector and works directly with corporate, fund managers, investment banks, brokers and other advisers. Edison’s research is read by institutional investors, alternative funds and wealth managers in more than 100 countries. Edison, founded in 2003, has offices in London, New York and Sydney and is authorised and regulated by the Financial Services Authority.
UKTI hosted a delegation of UK medical technology companies to Advamed in Boston this week. Last night, a “whos who” of healthcare executives and the UK delegation gathered for a dinner at the Massachusetts State House. Susie Kitchens, the UK’s new Consul General in New England addressed the audience (above) along with remarks from Lord Howe, Parliamentary Under-Secretary of State for the Department of Health.
Very cool. DeadSoci.al participated in the @UKTIatSXSWi and @Chinwag mission to SxSw. Great coverage from The Next Web.
DeadSoci.al, announced at this year’s SXSW festival and launched at TNW 2012 Conference, lets users create a calendar of ‘secret’ messages that are shared across Facebook, Twitter, Google , etc, after a user passes away. “This allows for communication and creativity to occur in death and those final messages to be told,” says CEO James Norris. The concept, though a bit shocking, makes sense for many people who wish to share their final thoughts post-mortem. Plus, if you’re especially invested in your social presence, there’s no reason why sharing your last words with the world wouldn’t spark many user’s interests. There’s also a controversial side, as seeing messages published after a loved one’s death may upset some users. Also, as companies often take advantage of celebrities and artists in death, management can now continue to do so at the highest level online. (via Deadsocial’s CEO: Staying Alive Online After Death @ TNW2012)
Turns out Tech City isn’t the only game in town. Check out this useful guide to Britain’s tech cluster(s) from the BBC.
Silicon Britain: Inside the country’s tech clusters
Planning is coming along well, and we are getting very excited about Digital Shoreditch next month in London. You can find more details about the program here: http://digitalshoreditch.com and we will send out more details about how US companies can get involved through UKTI later this week, we think you are going to like our plans!
All the excitement around Digital Shoreditch reminded us that we often get asked by US tech companies, “what are the best networking/ meet up events in Tech City and across London?” One of our colleagues pulled this list together of some of the best. Feel free to comment with additions or suggestions.
- TechMeetups http://techmeetups.com
- Minibar www.meetup.com/minibar
- Silicon roundabout meet-up www.meetup.com/SiliconRoundabout
- Silicon roundabout social club http://www.meetup.com/SiliconRoundaboutSocialClub
- Drinktank - “free, high quality meet-up for members of the tech community in London” http://www.meetup.com/drinktank
- Silicon Drinkabout http://www.facebook.com/SiliconDrinkabout
- Digital sizzle – Tech City creative meet-ups http://www.thedigitalsizzle.com
- Hoxton Mix mixer www.meetup.com/The-Hoxton-Mix/events
- Tech Hub http://www.techhub.com
- Flagons Den (Innovation Warehouse) http://london.flagonsden.com
- Mashup (Innovation Warehouse) http://www.mashupevent.com/events
- TechStartHub - provides networking & training http://www.techstarthub.com/calendar
- Shoreditch Business Networking - more general business networking http://www.syob.co.uk/business-networking/Shoreditch
- Angels in the City www.cityoflondon.gov.uk/angelsinthecity
- City Meets Tech http://citymeetstech.com
- Hacker News www.meetup.com/HNLondon
- Open Coffee Club http://www.meetup.com/londonocc
- London Start-up weekend http://www.meetup.com/LondonStartupWeekend
- Tuttle Club – “Co-creating a Social Media Café for London” http://tuttleclub.wordpress.com
- Internet of Things (IoT) meet-up, London http://www.meetup.com/iotlondon
- Good for nothing – “creative collaboration” http://goodfornoth.ning.com/events
- Open Soho – creative networking http://www.opensoho.com
- Product tank – product management for digital & tech start-ups http://www.producttank.com